View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 12:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Q-Bix Game 

Post Q-Bix Game
Ladies and gentlemen, I am really proud to announce that my* first ever PC game is completed. All the art behind the "curtain" of pixels you'll see was carefully designed in order to make the gameplay experience trully entertaining. Those of you who like the old-school arcade/puzzle games will find the game most interesting. Now straight to the point:

Q-Bix Game is based on the classic Tetris gameplay, though there are inovative features included that provide new and enchanced style of play. Erase your rows and assemble new Cubix Forms, utilize the 3 completely different bonuses to get your score as high as possible!

:!: Download link :!:

Currently the game is ver. 1.00. That means that there's still room for improvement and there Will be such in the next versions. For now that is all. I wish you to have a nice play and I will be more then happy to get your feedback/opinions about Q-Bix.

* - All the coding credit goes to my big friend Superlubo. Thanks pal!

P.S.: If there's any problem (crashes or alike) here you can download the latest DirectX runtime dlls so the game will run smoothly)

Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Q-Bix Game
Hey - thanks richter! Since I'm a fan of yours ;-) I've downloaded Q-Bix, even started it but having both processors crunching on a Bryce thingy, it doesn't make sense to start playing at tis moment.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Now, I have never been really good at Tetris games. The graphics are extraordinary, it really makes you want to play.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:03 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you, Horo, for taking the time to check the game out. I'm really happy you liked it. Btw, which version are you playing? There is a new ver.1.01 already uploaded. Just d-load it again, erase the old Q-Bix folder and unzip the new one. There are few texture fixes, control over the falling element fixes and a frame per second counter added.

Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I did play with v.1.01 - just checked. Good programming is if you can throw anything in a folder and get going - no messing around with the registry and things. I'm usually more confident with that kind of programs. Tell your mate that he also did a great job in that department.

Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:44 pm
Profile WWW

Well, I'm glad everything works out for you the way it should :mrgreen:

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

NIce!

Alright, so I played it for a bit before heading out to work. Graphics are really nice, but you may want to consider moving the camer back and zooming in a bit since your perspective makes it really hard to line up where your pieces are going to land. If you move the camera back a bit and compensate by zooming in, you should get a smaller distortion.

The gameplay is cool cuz its like tetris, but different rules, which makes it new, but it really needs some sound and exciter music during the game play. The intro music is awesome =) The game does seem a bit hard though in my opionion. Tetris is very simple for any noob to play, this game definately requires some practice before your good at it. I think I was only able to remove like 4 sets of boxes. =)

Graphix are awesome, great job there.

It seems very stable and runs great! I enjoyed it, I'll pass the link around at work and see what ppl think =)

Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:25 pm
Profile WWW

What a cool surprise was waiting for me! When I opened the main art page and saw the light blue text there I almost flipped. Nightst4r, it's so nice of you to put a link in the gallery where more people can access it. Thank you for this and also for your feedback on the game.

What you are suggesting is absolutely right. We could change the perspective and there'll be no problem about it. It is just that this kind of perspective is "reserved" to the actual (original) Tetris game. The way the game "field" rotates to the left/right is one of the things that are "reserved" to the Q-Bix. We did this intentionally. You said it yourself - the game is almost the same, but then again somehow slightly different and harder to play. The rotation contributes to this "feeling" :wink: Perhaps now is the right time to add a few words on the game-speeding, which I didn't include into the readme files. On every 5000pts. the game raises the speed of the falling elements with 50ms. This speed increase takes place up to 100.000pts and then keeps with constant (almost too fast though) speed until you hit your highest score :roll:

The Sound: :D Well, the intro is a midi file.. glad to see a friendly opinion in that aspect too (btw Does the end of the melody seem familiar to you somehow :wink: ). About the in-game sound, I'm working on it... 'till then you can use WinAmp or MediaPlayer or whatever soundplayer you use. Superlubo (the coder) made sure that "Alt+Tab" functions at 100% so switch freely between your software. Thanks again for your input!

Last edited by richter on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:54 pm
Profile WWW

Great game! I love the graphics and the difficulty level. You guys did a great job!
I have to agree with Nightst4r, the game also has the old school motion of objects, but unfortunately I fine it very annoying and difficult to look at, I much rather have it move fluently instead of as if it has slow frame rate. Also, there are some problems with the controls, I am not getting instant response, and objects jump over lanes a bit too easily. I also agree about the camera, but thats ok, maybe make a bit more use of it and have it actually fly over to the other side, sort of mirror the whole game that will add a new level of difficulty, because the person will get confused with where they last remembered to have an open spot.
goodluck!

Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:03 am

OH COOL!!!!! It looks a really cool like 3D Tetris! That must be a ball to play. Well done, Richter!!!!! :D

Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:30 am
Profile WWW

@ gat - On one hand you say that the game looks great, the graphics and the difficulty suit you well -- good, I'm pleased to see that, but on the other hand you say that it's "very annoying and difficult to look at". So... which one is it? Now things one at a time:

- "I am not getting instant response" - watch the frame-rate, if it is below 30fps than this is the answer, either your PC has too weak video hardware (which I seriously doubt, we even ran successful tests on AtiRadeon 9550 and GeForce FX 5xxx series adapters) or there are another processes running on the CPU while you're playing. If you're using Dual Core CPU, I'd recommend you to set the Affinity to only one core for the game in the Task Manager.

- "objects jump over lanes a bit too easily" - with the advancement in the game you know that it starts getting faster and faster. With a high falling speed of the element, the player (before) wasn't able to reach the sides of the gaming plot. So we made it more sensitive - the faster the speed gets, the faster the falling element reaches the left or the right side of the plot when you press a button. Again the framerate is critical.

- gat, how can you imagine that a game based on the tetris gameplay will use "fluently" falling elements? Everything is grid-based, sector-based, you cannot expect the element to fall fluently if it has sector coordinates that change step-by-step. There are no half or smaller sectors for the element to be translated there, that is at least in Q-Bix gameplay, other similar games might be using different methods of how directX draws/renders elements. I hope you get my point here. Also, we'll lose "the old school motion of objects". :)

- the camera - we thought of similar thing before and made some experiments, but we abandoned it exactly because such movement/mirroring will confuse the player too much and if he's having difficulties "looking" at the gameplot as yourself, that combined, imagine how quickly this player will shut the game down and never play it again. That's bad for any game, right, even the freeware ones.

@ Spektyr - you've joined the club, I'm happy! Have a good time playin' :wink:

Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]