View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 2007 Contests 

Eh, darn it. I lost interest in this. Help, anyone?

Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:30 am

Post sounds like fun
I wanted to give vue ple a try but my pc doesn't have the ram.

I was about to give up on bryce at one point, till I saw some of the renders on this site. I not at that level yet but I am getting there.

I am new to Bryce but bring on the contest IBL baby IBL HOOOORRRRAAA.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:50 pm
Site Admin

Bryce is probably not that "dead" as we perceive it from what DAZ does for it currently. Have a look at the DAZ forum about Siggraph 07 at http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=63835

Personally, I would prefer a contest using Bryce as the main renderer with permission to use any available "input" program like Wings3D, Hexagon, D|S, etc., but would exclude post production on the render else than adjusting contrast/colour and add the (c) tag. Bryce is a wondeful 3D ap but also one with a lot of limitations. To what degree does an entrant to the contest master Bryce and finds workarounds to get the desired result even though Bryce cannot do it directly. This is often a challenge in itself.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:36 am
Profile WWW

Post -
The limitations of Bryce are the things that made me think over and over about how to achieve something, anything within Bryce. And I'm glad I took that route of learning things. It pays off every day :D . Agreeing to what's been said by Horo, I'll just say for a contest or a challenge I'll wait to see the final rules (including postworking or an outside renderer issues), then decide if those suits me.
Though I have to fight another problem now. Since my pc was with WinXP 32bit OS, I couldn't use my whole ram memory (just 2,5 out of 4Gb), because the OS won't let this to happen. So I reinstalled the OS with x64bit edition and now I can use my whole ram, but Bryce won't startup at all. And this is my main problem. Maybe it is the same reason here as the case with Win Vista. Anyway, seeing the forum-link Horo gave us, I'm hoping that when (if) Bryce 7 is released, there will be x64 version. Until then... well..

Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Richter, hasn't Vista an XP-compatible mode? Though I understand you didn't spend a lot of money to upgrade only to cripple your new op-sys to get you there were you were before. Pity, Bryce is not yet 64-bit compatible. Perhaps there will be a 6.2 that addresses this (Mac-Intel users also had to wait for 6.1 since 6.0 didn't support it).

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:13 pm
Profile WWW

Post -
It should have XP compatible mode. Though I haven't tried Vista myself yet. I just don't think it's worth it.. yet. By saying that my case could be related to the Vista OS I meant to redirect you to this fellow's statement, who seems to have problems starting Bryce too. Of course most of the software I've been playing with still works, Apophysis as an example.

Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:45 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

We hates windows! But than, good written software works always. There's no piece of soft I've ever wrote in the DOS and early Windows days that doesn't still work on XP - except on FAT32, but what have we memory cards for? They still use FAT(16). We also hates C since its advent in the 1970s, I hated it the first day it was introduced in the "Electronics" magazine from McGraw Hill. It bloats program memory footprint and slows down processes and is responsible for 90% of the bugs because of memory boundary threspassing. We loves assembler, we always did, we ever will - that's where the speed is.

Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:55 pm
Profile WWW

As far as I understand for a program to be compatible with a curtain OS or 64 bit computer, it has to be compiled on one. I don't know if the same is for bryce and carrara. To compile from a source code would usually take a couple of days, as well as to do some bug testing. Its all very far out there I don't know any of it.

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:45 am

Post contest '07
<post deleted>

Last edited by richter on Sat May 10, 2008 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:30 am
Profile WWW

I think we should let Nihtst4r should decide.

Richter did you get bryce to work on that 64but system? If not, did you try to run it in 32bit compatibility mode?

Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:52 pm

Post Win x64
Yes Gat, no problem. Check out this last entry here.

Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: 2007 Contests
A bit OT but in a nutshell, you need web space, get one of many tools that help you putting up a gallery, a forum, a wiki, whatever you have in mind. Then personalize it. This one is based on phpBB, a link is on the bottom of this page.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:25 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2