View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 De-Grading images 

Who thinks that de-grading images de-grade this site?
I agree, they should upload their lousy pics to the W.I.P. section or upload reviews need to be more strict 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
I disagree the amateur images are fine and make the site look good 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 12

De-Grading images 

Post De-Grading images
I don't mean to sound harsh but I've noticed that some images that people upload to the site are de-grading to the program Corel Bryce 5, and to this site. Some images are not done with alot of effort and that shows a lack of effort or lack of skill. A suggestion I have would be for the people who are rendering spheres with bad lighting, bad render quality, and bad texturing with a default sky to stick it in the W.I.P. section; another option is that whoever reviews images should review more strictly. We all know that Bryce is a great program and we shouldn't degrade it by letting people post lousy images. Also I like this site better than sites like bryce5.net and I want it to stay good; thanks b5.com staff also for the great site layout. What do you think about people posting lousy images in regular sections?

-Ian

Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:00 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Trust me, I hate the low quality of some of the pix, but I'm very free on what pictures I take in cuz i want to give everyone the same chance to feel like their work means something so hopefully they will continue to work on their images instead of just giving up. The other Admins give me crap about it too =) Then also the images that I like would be the only ones that make it to the site. A better method I think would be... Have bad images get comments saying they really suck, which is then mean, and then remove them =) Or i can move them to the WIP folder, which is a little low anyway =)

Alternetivly I can start just denying some obviously bad images.. 2 spheres and a water plane... or whatever. Its clear that some users are on completely different levels. So lets see what the poll ends up saying.

P.s. The site has 2 admins, me and max. I'm the active one. Max is passive. And thanx for the positive comments =)

Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Well, the Admin is the boss! I clearly get Ian's argument, however, I disagree. Tastes are different and what I consider a great work of mine is completely ignored while I get attention for picts of mine I don't think much of myself.

I've seen here «cheap» pictures that inspied me to do something of the kind, but better. We also learn from others when they err. I certainly do like the diversity. It does help, if your pict is not always the worst.

Presets are not always the worst choice and is a tweaked preset a «cheap» one? Ian's arguments are valid but Admin would have to set up rules so that it is obvious, whether the pict meets the minimal standard or not

Do not forget the importance for a «whelp» to have his/her first picts publizised among far better ones. Being accepted even though being a beginner greatly motivates to do better. And this community is a great one! You are helped by the better ones, comments are fair and the critic such as to make you strive for better.

Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:13 pm
Profile WWW

Post .
Sorry about this, haha. I mean that the very obvious bad images should be taken off. But if someone has their own tastes, I think that is completely fine. :-) I also like the comment idea that you were talking about.

Thanks
Ian

Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Comments can be as mean as you want.. as long as they aren't profane or abusive, or u know.. racial, hate related etc. They still have to be appropriate. U can say this sucks.. but thats not very articulate.. vs.. This picture just needs to get better textures and maybe add a little detail.. bla blabla.. being helpful vs- hurtful and mean spited. I haven't really seen a completely in appropriate comment yet,, there are actually 1357 comments to date.. All seem to be appropriate so Ya.. I encourage comments to let people know that their work should aim to get better... etc. =)

And i might consider removing a few reallly cheap pix.. but I'm actually more inclined to remove the contest entries in the Wiktor contest that don't match specs, but i put them in anyway.. I prolly will take them out.. Mehran for example.. a bike doesn't could as gloomy =) so ya I'll prolly just move that to a more suitable category.

Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:16 pm
Profile WWW

Comments like "omg this sux I hate you 2 go die LOL" shouldn't be acceptable and should be erased immediately(i'm a mod so I can do that ^_^), but a comment such as "It's not very good, you just need to improve upon this and that and blah blah, i'm sure you'll do better if you try harder etc" should be acceptable, it gives them an idea on what to improve on etc.

As for alot of the images i've seen, the majority of images on this site are good/very good/incredible, but there are a rare few which are just plain crap(no offence to anyone). The styles of rendering and taste should be taken into account, but when it's an obvious craphole of a render as Ian said, it should be removed, period.

Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:37 am

Post WIP
Well, I personally like br5.net and its gallery. It is a more community related gallery where newbies can post and get helpful comments without any filter for sucky images (no offense, David! :0) But I think that it is a good idea for this site to have a gallery for images that really show what Bryce can do (so that if people come along and look they'll say oooooh, I'm gonna get bryce 5!!!) as well as a gallery for the images that need help (like your's, David! lol) I think having a NEWBIE gallery AND a WIP gallery, or a NEWBIE/WIP gallery would be nice. I'm not sure how change-able this site is, so this might not be an option.

Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:51 pm
Site Admin

Post Best of all worlds
If it were possible I would like to see a limitation on the number of images each member could have - say - 9 altogether, or 12 or something like that. So you have to choose to get rid of something if you want to put something new up (assuming you have used up your allocation) thus active/creative members would always be improving on their alloted images. However, so that images don't get stale, there should also be a time limit - something like six months or a year - that sort of time scale, where an image expires and is automatically binned. On this basis the site could have a leaner selection of more current images and that would hopefully be better than a burgeoning site of many images who's creators have improved on their past work but the old stuff is still in there clogging up the arteries. Maybe it's the lack of broadband but I have difficulty with big sites, bryce5.net is good but the gallery is just too big to trawl through to find those gems that I know must be in there. Like Venishi I don't know how difficult it would be to program, but first someone would have to agree with me anyway, so it's not an immediate concern. What do you think?

Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:33 pm
Profile WWW

Post Ummm
I am not sure about having a limit to the number of pictures you can post, but I think dicarding older images is a good idea. HOWEVER, David, you were mentioning sorting through the lists to find the "GEMS." It would be cool if there was a select gallery as well where all the "gems" were kept from being deleted at the end of the alloted time period for an image to remain on the site. Ok, just saying weird stuff :-)

Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:41 am
Site Admin

Post Clarification
I can see I didn't explain very well. The limit is not on the number of pics you can post, more on the number that will be stored under your name so to speak. You could post one every day but once you've reached your limit you will have to get rid of one of your older ones - so you keep putting stuff up and in doing so keep updating your portfolio. I think. I don't know, I'm not very good at explaining. I don't see why there shouldn't be a select gallery, but even then everyone keeps getting better so the criterion change and you need some way of moderating that too. More work.

Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Men is strange
Men is a strange creature. Always making big noises demanding freedom and when he/she gets it, considers applying rules and limits again. Yery strange indeed, but such we are.

I got Davids point, though. It depends on what expectations this site was activated for in the first place. To limit each users opus to a dozen -- a devils dozen, of course! -- entries in each category doesn't sound so bad to me. Indeed, I miss the possibility to get rid of my worse crap I uploaded here. If the possibility exists, I haven't figured out yet how to do it. I could also live with a time limit.

Provided webspace permits, archving what's been removed from the front would be appreciated. I still file through the picts, there are always some that escaped my attention. I read selected comments more than once and put comments to older pics. There's always a wealth of info 2 B found and sometimes we reply be x-referrencing to earlier works. It would be sad if all this were dumped for good.

When I finally hit this site, chances were that I noticed just the somewhat meager pics and I knew I could match those. Had I seen Tonkin's or David's pics then, I've never joined. If the guys featured on a site are so good, those who are novices but have potential, could be put off. And that would be a pitty.

Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Admin Agrees
I agree with Horo. I don't want to scare off the newbies, and the avg. artist. Max prefers just having the advanced artists, but as it goes i'm the admin more then max is, so my way goes =) As far as webspace goes.. We have a lot. Bandwidth.. no.. But websapce yes! =) So Splitting the gallery into Older and newer sections is doable.. Since more people will tend to visit the non-archived, I can save on stuff. To Date there are 709 images. Scattered into 13 categories. Unfinished works might be a little hard to See ithink its scaterd on the right side while the other big ones are on the left of the divide.

So I now offer up the chance to suggest ways that archiving would be easiest, and best suited. I can transfer images between this gallery freely. Move from CatA to CatB and it doesn't take all that much work. Moving them out of the gallery is a bit more complicated. Last time on Bryce5.com The old version... We split the langscapes into multiple catergories and stuff just to keep it down from 100 pages or what not. Max didn't like it.. I kept forgetting what pix were where.. it was messy.

So we did the new site with the bigger page layout and i just uped the crap out the pix per page to a really high number. As I'm sure you noticed...

And yes you can all delete your images.. if you click on it, it should have the option to delete and edit stuff about it. If this isn't the case, let me know I'll mess with the settings...

Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Corrected
Ok, soo I was wrong, the template was screwed up for deleteing and editing pictures.. =) sorry.. Its fixed now. You can delete anything you've created, as well as edit and remove all comments made to any of your own pictures.

Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Edit Delete
Thanks Nightst4r. Delete and Edit work smoothly. Great job! Now I have full control over my submissions.

Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Interest
Since it is in all our interests to encorage more people to use bryce5 I believe (as well as providing a forum for artist to air their works and words and gather useful feedback) that as well as a material exchange a obj and sky and br5 would be most helpful - if your like me, always wondering - how was that done... it would be an easy why to answer some questions and over time it could be built into a valuable resource for this site.

Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next